Are you entitled to a Christmas tax rebate?

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) are urging people to check whether they are entitled to claim tax relief from work expenses such as; car mileage, replacing equipment or maintaining uniforms. 

If any of the above expenses were paid through PAYE, then individuals may be able to get some of that money back.

Currently, HMRC is advising workers to check if they can claim extra cash back, by visiting the website to see if they could receive a full tax relief claim for genuine work-related expenses.

If customers are eligible, they can log in to their ‘Personal Tax Account’ and claim for their tax relief online and, if their claim is approved, be paid within three weeks.

Financial Secretary to the Treasury, Mel Stride MP, said: “We know what a difference tax relief can make to hard-working customers, especially at this time of year. HMRC is keen to make sure customers get all the relief they’re entitled to by using their online service.

“Tax relief isn’t available for all employment expenses so the online ‘Check If You Can Claim’ tool is very helpful – then if your claim is approved, your full tax relief will be paid directly into your bank account.”

People may be unaware that they can claim tax relief from HMRC to cover the costs of business mileage (not commuting), replacing or repairing small tools they need to do their job (for example, scissors or an electric drill), or cleaning, repairing or replacing specialist clothing such as a branded uniform or safety boots.